Sunshine Social Welfare Foundation provides services and support to children, youths, adults with visible differences or disfigurement and their families. We have specific service programs for:
- Oral cancer
With close to 250 employees, we rely on a multi-disciplinary team composed of social workers, occupational and physical therapists, psychological counselors, vocational counselors and social educators based in our regional centers, work stations and rehabilitation centers across Taiwan. This allows us to deliver services in a community-based setting, either directly in our centers or through home visits, to improve our clients’ quality of life, help them build the confidence to face the world and become empowered through active social participation. Through social education, we aim to create a safe environment to reduce the incidence of burns and oral cancer, as well as enhance public awareness about facial disfigurement so that burn survivors and people with facial disfigurement enjoy equal rights and opportunities.
- Physical rehabilitation to help our clients regain their physical functions and return within the community. Services include physical and occupational therapy, production of assistive devices and facial prosthesis, custom-made pressure garments and image enhancement (skin camouflage).
- Financial aidto free our clients from everyday worries so that they may concentrate on their physical and psychological rehabilitation. Types of financial support include medical treatment, rehabilitation, pressure garments and other assistive devices, daily living and transportation.
- Short-term housingfor clients requiring continuous rehabilitation in Taipei, as well as assistance with daily care and daily living training.
- Psychological support and counselingsuch as one-on-one individual counselling, group activities, play therapy and sand therapy, as well as social participation activities and peer support groups.
- School re-entry counselingto help burn children or children with facial disfigurement prepare return to school.
- Vocational counselingto facilitate the reintegration of our clients in the job market and allow them to live full, independent lives.
- Social educationfor the prevention of burns and oral cancer, as well as for raising social awareness about facial disfigurement to fight discrimination or prejudice based on appearance.